Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Graduating from Kindergarten!

So, today is an exciting day for my little one. She is graduating from Kindergarten!

For the longest time, kindergarten has been the big milestone, so it is hard to believe that it is over. Abby is ready for first grade...she asked me if she becomes a first grader the day after her last day of school or if she has to wait until her first day next school year.

Several weeks before her sixth birthday, she stated, to my amusement, " I am bored with being five, I am ready to be six". I had to laugh, but I remember how it is when you are younger and always looking forward to that next Christmas, next birthday, next summer....

Maybe, I am being overly sentimental but I can't help it. I don't want her to grow up too quickly. I know one day, when the time comes, I will be able to let her leave the nest...so to speak.

But, for now, I will let her believe in magic (and she does), say the word wrong, eat her weight in goldfish, and drag out every toy she owns every time she plays. She needs to cherish her childhood, while I nurture and cherish her.

"If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again"
If I had my child to raise all over again,I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
~Diane Loomans, from "If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again"

No comments:

Post a Comment